Understanding What Safety Performance in Aviation SMS Is
Safety performance in aviation safety management systems (SMS) can be difficult to fully comprehend because it involves so many different moving parts. In general we understand safety performance as involving the:
- Ability to comply with regulations of oversight agencies;
- Ability to monitor operational safety performance;
- Risk management processes to mitigate risk and monitor risk controls;
- Data management capabilities to set and monitor safety goals and objectives; and
- Ability to meet organization-specific KPIs related to safety goals.