High Expectations and Fear Toward Safety Database Complexity
Each day, I speak to at least four safety managers as they search for an aviation safety database solution to satisfy their ICAO SMS or regional civil aviation authority (like FAA, Transport Canada, EASA, CASA) SMS requirements.
Safety managers are apprehensive
- to make the wrong decision as to which SMS software solution to choose;
- whether their SMS database is flexible to change as their company changes; and
- about what is required of them once they choose their safety database.
All safety managers know that the solution they choose will be better than what they currently have, whether their existing aviation SMS solution is:
- Excel spreadsheets;
- Home-grown Web solution cobbled together by power users; or
- MS Access database created by a long-gone employee who had a clear vision.
In this article, we go through the steps an SMS Admin would go through when setting up their aviation safety database.
This article will serve four purposes: