What are Safety Benefits of SMS Software
The safety benefits of SMS software are probably the primary reason a company initially decides to adopt software.
The rational here is that the aid of technology can greatly improve the ability of all employees to practice safety operations, for many reasons.
While there are many benefits of SMS software, here are five crucial benefits:
- Vastly improved data mining;
- More complex risk analysis;
- Better data acquisition ability;
- Significantly more risk analysis options (i.e., computer assistance); and
- Stronger decision-making ability because much more data is available.
One of the primary ways SMS software improves safety is that software is, essentially, an aviation safety database. An aviation SMS database stores information and allows a computer to perform complex operations that would otherwise be done by a fallible human mind.
The computer’s ability to do this is, obviously, leaps and bounds ahead of a human.
What Are Financial Benefits of SMS Software
The financial benefits of safety software are a big deal, and they will be many aviation safety managers main argument from upgrading from a manual SMS to a software driven SMS.
Not only does aviation SMS software cut down on costs, but it’s rather easy to show that SMS software is NOT just another expense. Actually, it’s a money saving tool.
The financial benefits of using software are significant, and the margin increases as the size of a company increases. See this SMS return on investment study for more information – however here are several financial benefits of safety software:
- Less manpower (i.e., improved payroll) needed to manage administrative side of program, such as data entry, generating reports, etc.;
- Better ability to document safety related financial data;
- Improved report generating ability (i.e. charts, data presentation) to show to tall stakeholders, such as investors;
- Better safety performance increases return on investment for the SMS, as with less fines and fewer accidents;
- Reduced safety incidents and accidents that can be extremely costly; and
- Improved decision-making ability allows for much less wasted time/money.
Often times, gaining support from upper management means speaking their language: show the financial incentives of safety management system software over manual SMS.
What are QMS Benefits of SMS Software
QMS and SMS go hand in hand. Quality management systems and safety management systems both mutually benefit from being integrated. Organizations that have a strict hierarchy of quality vs safety tend to struggle with safety culture, as it subtly communicates to employees that productivity is valued more than safe behavior.
SMS software can be a valuable ally in integrating these two system together for the following reasons:
- Automated safety training reduces training time and costs;
- More thorough audit preparation;
- Better audit performance;
- Much less burden to implement quality-safety management system; and
- Better productivity for all operations, as manual work in regard to safety program is mostly eliminated.
Software is designed around business logic and workflows. Adopting SMS software gives you an opportunity to adjust your existing SMS processes to integrate QMS.
What are Administrative Benefits of SMS Software
Something that most organizations fail to grasp when they move from a manual SMS program to software based SMS program is just how much easier their duties and tasks will be as a result of software.
SMS software offers significant automation, and if you running a manual SMS you can easily expect to see your safety team’s efficiency double – i.e., workload cut in half.
In short, software offers your safety team a chance to focus more on doing important duties rather than getting bogged down in repetitive administrative tasks for the following reasons:
- Better organizational abilities;
- Significantly less administrative data entry burden;
- Better data security against loss and unauthorized access;
- Significantly better data authorization ability, including improved and decreased transparency; and
- More resources – and easier access to those resources – for employees.
The potential is very great, and using software now means getting started storing all safety data in a digital format. With manual programs, the ceiling if human ability.
See free demo videos for the world's most well known aviation SMS software: